Originally a brewery established in 1893 by the Larger Beer Company, the 2.6-hectare property was acquired by the Resch family in 1900 and became a Sydney Landmark – Resch’s Brewery.
Sensitive restoration of the existing heritage buildings, along with the development of a variety of modern apartments commenced in the early 1990’s and took approximately 10 years to build, with the final stage (Caley) being completed in the year 2000.
The development was integrated with the surrounding community, by creating a number of buildings with their own identities and a series of quiet, publicly accessible open spaces across the site.
The main entrance to the complex is off Bourke Street which leads into a long tree lined paved driveway (Charles Moore Avenue) which provides plentiful visitors parking and contains entrances to the residential car parks. There is also an entrance at 6-8 Crescent St which provides rear car park entrance to most buildings and also the main foyer entrances for the Caley building.
Moore Park Gardens consists of 560 Residential apartments and 11 commercial premises spread across 12 distinct buildings. While large in size the complex has a village like atmosphere which is a credit to its design.
The apartment complex is broken up into four different strata plans which means there are four groups of owner’s or Owner’s Corporations that own different parts of the complex. Overriding the Owner’s Corporations is the Moore Park Gardens Community Scheme which is responsible for the shared facilities of the complex such as the main driveway, pool/gymnasium area and also sets common rules for the building to ensure harmony across all areas of the complex.